Wednesday


Year Two Book Nine: 
Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's Learned by Lena Dunham
August 29, 2015





Amy: I give it a 3 out of 5. I think I would have liked this book more if Lena was able to take command of her story a bit more concisely. Though I know deep down that if she would have done that, she would have faced additional criticism for being too direct and concise. I did find though, that if you didn't have any context of who Lena Dunham is or what she has been able to accomplish, this book would seem like endless, anxious drivel; I would liken it to "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson. But I do know who Lena Dunham is!! And I think because of that, I was looking for some direct, how-to-be-a-kick-ass-no-bullshit-kind-of-girl advice from her story. Maybe it was intentionally left lukewarm, as a way to say "Look, I am just like you! You can start a wildly provocative HBO drama and befriend Taylor Swift just as easily! Ain't no thang!" I wanted to love this book! Instead, it was okay. :(

Average group rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment