Friday

Retreat Weekend Book Two: Stumbling on Happiness


Retreat Weekend Book Two: Stumbling on Happiness, Daniel Gilbert


Amy: I rate this book a 2 out of 5. This topic really freaks me out because it highlights how my brain can trick me. I then spiral into a, sort of, existential crisis thinking "Who is me anyways if my brain really has such influence on me!?!?". 

Once I calmed down and got through the first half of the book, I could see where the author was going and can appreciate his attempts at encouraging the masses that happiness is more likely an evolutionary slight of hand trick to get one to keep on keeping on, the proverbial carrot on a stick. But still, it all, kind of short circuits my belief systems. 

I did like the chapter on the brain's "immune system" though, where the author describes a persons ability to "re-frame" negative situations so that the person can cope with stressful situations. That kind of tricky I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment