Friday

Retreat Weekend Book One: Prisoner of Tehran




Retreat Weekend Book One: Prisoner of Tehran, Marina Nemat

Amy: I rate this book 4.5 out of 5. I really liked this book. In comparison to "House In the Sky", this gave me far more insight into how a country can become so hostile to it's own people. I love the descriptions of Marina's favorite book store and summers at her families beach house, riding bikes and kissing boys! It seemed like a childhood most Westerners would totally understand. To go from summers in short shorts, to being hiding her books and having to protest in order to get a proper education is something I know I will never be able to fully comprehend.

Parts of Marina's story play out like a movie. Actually, if this was a movie I would probably roll my eyes, with a "As if!" in my best Cher Horowitz impression. However, this women faced a nearly impossible situation, that threatened her safety and the safety of the people she loved, and required an equally drastic solution. I am glad things turned out the way they did for Marina, despite her losses. I am glad she found the courage to share her story. And I am glad she found herself in a country she can purse her potential in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment